Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

Rainbow Innuendo



Bungle: " Geoffrey, I can't get it in"
Geoffrey: "You managed it last night"
Bungle: "I know, let's try it round the other way. Ooooooh, I've got it
in"

Rainbow was a British children's television series, created by Pamela Lonsdale, which ran twice weekly at 12:10 on Tuesdays and Fridays on the ITV network, from 1972 to 1992.

I saw this clip on Plurk earlier and thought that it was just dead brilliant. The Wife wonders how they managed to keep straight faces throughout the sketch. Having missed growing up in London from 1972 to 1992 I am not really familiar with Rainbow, but it does look much like all such Puppet Children shows look. I wonder if there is an adult version of Sesame Street somewhere? I laughed out loud several times while watching this.

"Although often introduced as the unaired pilot, this episode was actually specially made by the team at Thames Television. Geoffrey Hayes told us, "The VT department of each ITV company, every Christmas had a competition to enter all the outtakes from their particular companies programme output, and see which ones were the funniest. But ours wasn't an outtake, we specially did it. It was specially scripted and we did it and I never saw it! We did it and Thames won it, but what they actually won, I don't know. But I never saw the video. I can't remember much about it except for Zippy with a banana." The script was written by the voice of Zippy and George; Roy Skelton."

No comments: