Pages

Monday, June 9, 2008

The Photographer's Gallery-London

Open Daily-Admission Free

London's The Photographers' Gallery is one of those places that can't make up its mind what it wants to be. Like The Wapping Project, it is a little bit of everything-all of it good.

Part gallery, part bookstore, part cafe. As a photographer myself I always find places like The Photograpers' Gallery of special interest. I can think that I might one day have my own works hanging on these noble walls. Though really, the odds are against it, as I have yet to have even a small show-let alone something in London's best.

This doesn't stop me from wandering around the works of those that do have the chops to be displayed in London's Largest Public Gallery. I like most photographic art, but sometimes I find the Fine Art a bit too fine. Odds and ends, lost and found, interesting and just awful. But that's what makes art great-I don't like one artist, but maybe I find someone new that I will like.

The Photographers' Gallery has developed a reputation as the UK's primary venue for contemporary photography. One of its major achievements has been to establish photography within a wide viewing public-making it more popular and accessible. Anything that gets the public interested in fine art photography is a good thing.

No comments: