Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

London Foods I Like

I like most British Foods, well, mostly I like British Junk food. There is just something about Shepard's Pie, Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash, Jelly Babies, Clotted Cream Fudge, and the occasional Cup of Tea. I also like sillyl stuff like Liquorice flavored Altoids-I really like the Liquorice flavored Altoids.

There are a lot of pretend British Pubs around home, but they are not the same as a good London pub. You can whip up your own British Food, or you can wander around London to eat any of the amazing foods that strikes your fancy. There's really only one Brit Food that I hate-Salmon, but that just might be because I had my appendix removed after I ate salmon once. Not likely to happen again, but memories are sometimes tricky things.

A good real British food is Cottage pie, a traditional English dish made with minced meat covered with mashed potato and often topped with cheese. While a variety of meats can be used, the dish is traditionally made from beef or lamb. The lamb version is often called shepherd's pie but there is no hard-and-fast rule about either term. You can even get a bit of Cottage Pie on British Airlines-though I can't say I'd recommend it.

Another great British item is clotted cream-a thick yellow cream made by heating unpasteurized cow's milk and then leaving it in shallow pans for several hours. During this time, the cream content rises to the surface and forms 'clots'. Clotted Cream Fudge is great stuff. The clotted cream fudge that I ate came from Harrod's, if memory serves correct.

Bangers and Mash may, even when cooked at home, be thought of as an example of pub grub - relatively quick and easy to make in large quantities as well as being tasty and satisfying. More up-market varieties, with exotic sausages, are sold in gastropubs, as well as less exotic alternatives being available in regular pubs.

My favorite London junk food was Fish and Chips from a Donner KaBob in Camden Town. The Donner Kabob is a take away place with very large meatballs for sale in addition to the very generous portions of fish and chips. It was also a pretty good spot to stare out the window at the crowds passing by.

Of course, London chocolate is a bit sweeter and softer than American chocolate, doesn't get as hot in London so the chocolate does have to be protected from melting as much. All kinds of odd and wonder sweets in London, just grab one and enjoy.

Well, just a quick hit of the high points, I'm sure there are lots of other great things to eat in London.

No comments: