Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

London in The Snow

The biggest snowfall to hit London in 18 years idled the city's trademark red buses and Underground trains Monday, stranded thousands of airline passengers, and raised the vexing question of why a predicted winter storm caught authorities so unprepared.

Transit officials had nearly a week to get ready, but they failed to keep things running normally in the capital, which was buried under more than four inches of snow overnight and another four inches in the afternoon. -AP

London doesn't get a lot snow, and it didn't take much to shut the old town down. We like to think that we are a modern people who can cope with anything, well, anything but snow. Here in Texas it doesn't take much more than an icy road to close down all the schools and keep people home from work. So not going out into the snow covered streets of London makes perfect sense to me. The silly people who are skiing and sliding down hills on cardboard, that sounds like a good plan to me.

I have never understood people who live in places where there is snow all winter long. A nice dusting once in a while and enough to make a snowman is all the snow that I need. Facing those fresh mounds of snow everyday would drive me mad. Still, I think I would like London in the snow. Great photo ops for all those familiar sites that we seldom see with a layer of snow on top. A trip to Highgate Cemetery might be a good idea. All those moldy green tomes with a bit of white as an accent.

I'm not as big a fan of the cold as I used to be, so I'd likely just look out the window once in a while and catch up on some TV.

No comments: